Update on The Pickle Experiment

My cucumber plants keep producing!


IMG_1456 - Version 2


This means I can continue The Pickle Experiment. It works out well since my husband does not like fresh cucumbers very much, but will gladly eat pickles.


As you might recall from my previous pickle post, I needed to try my recipe once more (hopefully) to get it right. 


I made some slight adjustments to the brine ratio, and this time I used raw coconut vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, just because I felt like it.


DSCN6280


I chopped up some onions and tossed them in the bottom of my 2 jars. I added dill this time, along with some cumin seeds and black peppercorns. I mixed 3/4 cup water and 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 tablespoon raw honey. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough brine so I just mixed up about 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon vinegar, which seemed to be enough. Of course, I forgot to write it down, so I’m not sure. I’ll have to try it again with the next crop.


I don’t know if the coconut vinegar is a little milder than the apple cider vinegar (since I don’t want to taste them straight up) but the final product was not quite tangy enough for me. I felt that I needed a little more vinegar, which gets me back to my first version of equal parts water/vinegar. However, that was too sour. Maybe just adding the honey to that original ratio is the way to go. As I said, I’ll have to try this again.


With my overnight pickles in the refrigerator, I decided to use the remaining cucumbers to make some fermented pickles, using a salt brine like I did with the sauerkraut (see Figuring Out Fermented Foods from July 12).


I sliced more cucumber spears:


DSCN6236
DSCN6238


Crushed some garlic cloves:


DSCN6239


And grated fresh horseradish:


DSCN6230


I pulled out some spices:


DSCN6231


And combined them in the jars:


DSCN6241


I crammed in the cucumber spears:


DSCN6242


Then mixed up the brine and poured it over them. 


I placed my plastic disks on top…


DSCN6246


… and added the small jars as a weight to keep the cucumbers under the liquid. (This step is not as important with pickles as it is with cabbage since they don’t really float to the top.)


DSCN6247


I finally covered them with a cloth, secured them with a rubber band, and let them stand on the counter about 3-5 days. 


IMG_1087


Both types were delicious!


IMG_1473


See my recipes for Overnight Pickles and Fermented Pickles.

© Bobbi Mullins 2011, All rights reserved. FOOD FITNESS FAITH™